Thursday, March 28, 2013

Volume Five

Hoo man, I never knew that Spring Breaks could be busy. Granted, you can take a couple of days off to start with, but then you've gotta go back to the grind stone (or iMac, depending on what era you live in). For example, I spent the last nine (NINE!) hours finishing up this bad boy:


Wait, it's too small to see? Bwahahahaa... now you must either read through my entire spiel or scroll to the bottom of this post in order to see the full version! My master plan is unfolding!

Redesigning assignment sheets is actually a fairly engaging process for me; I found that every aspect of the task came rather naturally to me. So, how did I do it? What steps did I take in designing this 10-pixel-tall masterpiece?

Well, I'll tell you.

Step 1] Take all of the raw information from the assignment sheet out.

(I put it here)

Step 2] Whittle that down to the vital information.

(Turns out that most of the information is vital)

Step 3] Bring the information into Adobe Illustrator section-by-section.

(A section which describes the overall project, duh)

Step 4] Geez, design the layout already.

(Recreated after the final design was finished)

Step 5] Spend half a day working... and done.

 (The longest step)

Now that I'm finally done with that, I'll collapse into bed. In retrospect, while I definitely felt my previous practice layouts helped me in this process, I think that it would've been smart to skip the Four Principles of Design and started my work on this layout a week earlier. Still, I'm pretty darn happy with the final product.

I would like to thank the Academy, my parents, and last.fm's never-ending stream of Impressionist and Romantic music.

TED Talk in four days! Oi vey.

Resources Used:
It's all in my head.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Ethan,
    Nicely done! I find it interesting how you documented the whole process of your genius project by using graphic design.
    Good luck on your TED Talk!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you for the comment and my TED Talk went well, though I wasn't the commenter on your blog. I believe that that was the other Ethan in Gifted, Ethan Baim.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your final product is really good and the layout is amazing! It is so easy to follow... That said...

    Have you ever thought about joining Yearbook? We need people as great as you do design a couple layouts. Think about it. (As the editor I can promise you that it will not interfere with robotics. I can make sure of that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, tempting... now, I don't have much experience working with pictures in my designs, but I still like the idea of joining Yearbook.
      I take it that I could only join Yearbook next year, right? We'll talk about this during homeroom.

      Delete